I’m not a white woman, and I don’t like it.
I’m an Australian citizen, but my father’s family are white.
I grew up in Melbourne, where I grew into a confident and successful woman who’s proud of who I am.
But now, when it comes to the question of my identity, I’ve just found out that I am, in fact, not white.
The man, who I’m calling Nick, told me this last week while I was in his car on a Sunday afternoon.
“I think it’s pretty common for people who come from a white background to be white,” he said.
I said to Nick, “What’s your background?”
“My mum is white,” Nick said.
“My dad is white.”
“That’s pretty typical,” I replied.
Nick’s dad was from the United States.
But that doesn’t mean I have white skin.
White skin is not a common ethnicity.
It’s the colour that’s the only thing that’s typically associated with white people, regardless of how they identify themselves.
For example, white Australians are generally considered the most “white” people in Australia, but the country has many ethnicities, including the Tanzanian population, which is more than 20 per cent of the population.
And there are many more ethnicities in Australia than there are people.
According to the 2013 Census, around 70 per cent live in urban areas, while the remaining 20 per to 30 per cent is found in rural areas.
If you go back and look at census figures from previous decades, it’s likely that Australia has a much larger percentage of people who are white in terms of their skin colour than any other country on the planet.
In fact, a 2011 report by the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet found that the percentage of Australians who were white at birth in 2011 was 1.2 per cent higher than the national average.
That means that about 5.3 per cent, or roughly two-thirds, of Australians are white people today.
The vast majority of Australians identify as white, so what’s the problem?
Well, it is quite common for white Australians to have very similar skin colours to other Australians, and many have similar traits, including height, weight, and build.
While Nick was quick to point out that there are plenty of people of other races in Australia who are not white, he also said he was concerned that people may associate his heritage with his ethnicity.
Nick said he’d heard the term “white-as-a-mosaic” used before.
So, I asked Nick if he’d ever considered that a problem.
He agreed that he might have considered that, but he said he didn’t think that was a big problem.
“I don’t think it matters if you’re white or black or Asian or any other colour, if you look at my face and look like me, that’s what’s in the mirror and that’s who I look like,” he told me.
When I asked if he had ever had someone say to him, “Well, you look like my mum, you’re black, you have a tan, you are tall,” Nick agreed.
‘Not really’ ‘not really’ a racist remark, Nick says “You know what, I do not think that’s a racist comment,” Nick told me over the phone.
What’s the deal?
When it comes down to it, Nick said he felt “very uncomfortable” about his response, but said he hadn’t really thought about it in terms “of racism”.
“As I said, I think there are a lot of white people who do have very distinct racial characteristics, but that doesn´t mean that I have to be a white person in the same way that I look,” he explained.
His mother was from South Africa and he was raised in South Australia.
As a young child, Nick’s mum was a teacher, while Nick’s father was a construction worker.
A lot of Australian white people do have distinctive characteristics.
They have height, they have a broad build, they look like people of the same ethnic group.
Like me, they are proud of what they have, and their heritage is something that’s important to them, Nick told the ABC.
However, Nick believes that his mother wasn’t racist, and that the issue was more about his mother’s race.
“[My mother] just wanted me to be proud of my heritage, so I was very proud of that and very proud that I looked like her,” Nick explained.
“She had a lot more to say about it.”
When asked why he thought that was the case, Nick replied, “I think I’ve been raised by people who looked at me differently.
I think my mom is proud of me for being white.”